What is Foster Care?
Foster Care is a service, which provides a family life experience in an approved household for children who temporarily cannot remain in their homes and whose needs can best be met in a foster family setting. The basic purposes of foster care are:
- To provide a safe, nurturing environment, which promotes the child’s maximum growth and development
- To work toward achievement of the permanence goal of the child.
Foster children come from all sectors of our community, from all cultural backgrounds. They may come from homes torn apart by illness, drugs, and/or alcohol. Some have been physically, emotionally, or sexually abused. They deserve to have a loving family.
The Foster Parent
As a foster parent, you become a key member of a team that sets the goals and contributes to the plan for each child in your care. You take part in important decisions affecting the child’s future. You will work closely with an experienced Case Worker, the worker’s supervisor, consulting therapists, birth parents, the school, and other community agencies when needed.
Three Rivers Youth Supports You, So You Can Support a Child in Need!
- We provide expert training for all of our foster parents.
- We offer competitive monthly reimbursements for each child in your care, the amount varies by the age and care required.
- Singles, as well as married couples, may become foster parents.
- You are NOT alone, we take a teaming approach!
- TRY connects all of our foster parents with other experienced foster parents, social workers, and family specialists.
Do You Qualify?
- Are you able to…
- Open your heart to a child in need,
- Share your time and your family,
- Be flexible,
- Work together with TRY as a team,
- Help a child maintain relationships with family by assisting with visitations,
- Help the child in your care find a permanent home, a “forever family”,
- Be a good listener,
- Perceive feelings and needs,
- Be objective not judgmental,
- Emphasize the positive,
- Let go when the time comes…
♥ It takes a special kind of person to open their homes and hearts to a child in need. ♥
Become a Certified Foster Parent With Three Rivers Youth
Download and Complete Our Foster Care Application
Contact Mary Jo McCarrick at 412-441-5020 x 108, or Click Here to E-mail
Schedule Orientation,Interview & Training. We provide professional pre-service and on-going training as well as 24 hour support.
Gather Basic Information. We ask all of our Foster Care parents to provide references. Clearances, TB test results, physical exam results, and family information.